Telit promotion extends 2G life with route to 4G
November 20, 2018
Because European operators are pushing back sunset dates for 2G networks and accelerating them for 3G, Telit has announced a pan European limited time commercial promotion that offers technical and financial incentives for adoption of any combination of its four 2G modules now with discounts continuing into successor 4G IoT modules.
The Italian company’s promotion offers customers the ability to secure 2G modules now and for a limited time at special prices with extended technical and design-in support followed by 4G modules at a discounted price when they are ready to start manufacturing devices with LTE-M or NB-IoT 5G-ready LTE modules.
The 2G modules included in the promotion are the GL865-Quad V3.1, GL865-Dual V3.1, GL865-Quad V4 and the mini form-factor GE310-GNSS.
The move is in response to communicated plans by European operators pushing back sunset dates for 2G networks and accelerating them for 3G. Additionally, research shows that 2G IoT connections will continue to grow in the region, peaking in 2022 and then only decline slowly. Research firm ABI Research estimated that 2G cellular IoT connections would continue to grow in Europe from 100 million in 2018, reaching a peak of 148 million connected devices in 2022 before slowly dropping to about 89 million in 2026.
The life extension of 2G networks in Europe is based on low costs from fully amortised networks, reliable radio performance and ubiquitous coverage of the technology. Although 2G is no longer considered fast enough for modern bandwidth-hungry consumer streaming applications, the typical bursts of data associated with business and industrial IoT devices are perfect for the wide area coverage 2G technology provides.
The 2G promotion offers customers access to a selection of modules now, all of which have successor options in LTE-M and NB-IoT that remain available for a cost and technology-effective migration path and schedule suitable to them:
- The GL865-Quad V3.1 is a SimWise capable product and among Europe's most widely deployed 2G IoT modules.
- The GL865-Dual V3.1 is a SimWise capable product for fixed applications deployed and expected to stay in the European geography.
- The GL865-Quad V4 is a new variant of the xL865 family optimised for low cost and including additional pads making it compatible with NB-IoT and LTE-M.
- The GE310-GNSS is a 2G IoT module with GSM, GPRS, multi-constellation satellite positioning and Bluetooth functionality, all in a 270mm2 form factor.
• Telit has announced the SL869T3-I positioning module combining GPS, NavIC, and Gagan to enable the creation of position reporting and navigation. The module complies with Automotive Industry Standard 140 (AIS-140), an Indian government mandate that requires the use of NavIC for vehicle location tracking devices in all public transportation vehicles, effective April 2019.
The 16 by 12.2mm module with an LLC package is provided with a single RF input for L1 and L5 bands. It also contains flash memory, low noise amplifier and saw filters. The RF front end is designed to comply with sensitivity specifications contained in AIS-140.