Schneider meter measures power quality
September 4, 2018
Schneider Electric has announced what it claims is the world's most advanced, most accurate power quality meter, the PowerLogic ION9000. With its IoT advancements, event analytics and accuracy, this addition to the EcoStruxure power portfolio is a complete quality meter for critical power applications.
The French company’s meter builds on the success of the ION7650. It has five core innovations:
- Performance, with third-party certified Class 0.1S accuracy – twice the precision of existing energy standards – to unlock significant possibilities for energy savings, and ensure the meter can comply with revenue grade applications.
- Cyber security ready, designed to align with grid cyber-security policies, helping eliminate vulnerabilities to critical power assets and systems.
- On-board power quality analysis provides information, not just data, and it does so via its on-board PQ tool, according to EN50160 and IEEE519 standards. The ION9000 also has waveform capture and patented disturbance direction detection.
- Smart power event analysis automatically correlates related trends, events and waveforms based on time and type of incident, saving time and providing insight with pre- and post-incident data.
- Patented ION programmability lets users adapt as their power networks become more dynamic, tailoring programming to accommodate complex electrical distribution monitoring or custom substation automation.
Leveraging visibility of an electrical system is easier with the ION9000 and power management software. Quick views of energy consumption, power quality and power network status are available in real time. The meter can be a critical tool for preventive maintenance and root cause analysis in power outages or PQ events, helping keep people and equipment safe.
To be certified 0.1S accurate, the meter uses precise, reliable components. Combined with EcoStruxure edge control software, it helps reveal every power network risk and opportunity. Knowing exactly what happened during an incident is vital for re-establishing normal operations and helps mitigate future issues before they become problems. The meter helps avoid outages, equipment damage, failures and interruption of critical operations.
An efficient, optimised power network is a productive network. With its smart power analysis, the meter provides diagnostic information to EcoStruxure software for power quality analysis and system forensics, revealing root causes of power events and optimising power network efficiency. This contextual information allows users to draw conclusions about cause and effect, which enhances operations and enables maintenance scheduling on power equipment only when and where it is needed. Improved power quality also increases the reliability and lifespan of equipment.
It is said to be the only meter that complies with all three of the latest power quality standards: IEC61000-4-30, IEC62586-1 and IEC62586-2. With its ION programmability, its modularity designed for rapidly changing IoT-enabled power networks, as well as its 0.1S accuracy, the meter complies with local and international standards and regulations.
The EcoStruxure power platform is an open, interoperable, IoT-enabled system architecture delivering value around safety, reliability, efficiency, sustainability and connectivity. It leverages technologies in IoT, mobility, sensing, cloud, analytics and cyber security for connected products, edge control, and apps, analytics and services.