Virtual consultation rooms connect patients with doctors
March 19, 2019
Virtual life-sized consultation rooms could be appearing in airports and hotels following six years of development by Florida-based OnMed. The rooms use thermal imaging and facial recognition to connect patients securely with doctors.
The OnMed Station allows patients a virtual life-sized consultation with a physician and automated pharmaceutical services. The launch follows the input of private equity funding, enabling the company to scale worldwide.
A station can be set up almost anywhere, bringing health care via high definition video and audio to patients at large workplaces or public spaces. This makes a real-time, virtual consultation with a doctor convenient for a busy patient. It uses technology, including thermal imaging, ultraviolet sanitisation and facial recognition, to create a safe and secure experience.
The station even allows doctors to prescribe and dispense hundreds of common medications through a secure, automated vault, saving patients a trip to the pharmacy.
Seven out of ten emergency room visits in the USA are unnecessary as Americans visit the ER for basic health needs, resulting in billions of wasted dollars and thousands of wasted hours in wait times. With an OnMed station, health care systems can direct patients to receive immediate care for non-emergency health care needs, bypassing the ER altogether and freeing up resources.
The station design is patented in the USA and internationally. In addition to hospitals, OnMed is prepared to deploy stations in colleges, airports, hotels, large private employers and other locations globally. These units will be placed in 2019.
Features of the station include:
- Height, weight and BMI measurement
- Dispensing hundreds of common medications
- Thermal imaging to provide body temperature and diagnose infection
- Readings of blood pressure, respiration and blood oxygen saturation
- Audio and visual inspection of vitals in HD video and audio
- Positive patient identification using 3D facial recognition
- High-output ultraviolet surface and air sanitisation to eliminate pathogens after every patient visit
- Exam room protected by privacy glass
- Live and life-size physician encounter
- Option to transmit results securely to the patient’s primary care physician
- Ability to provide paper prescriptions, e-prescriptions to preferred pharmacies, referrals and self-service lab kits for diagnostic testing
OnMed is based in Clearwater, Florida, with more than a decade of experience delivering health care services in all fifty states as well as Puerto Rico.