JDA and Microsoft add machines learning to warehouse management
May 21, 2109
Arizona-based JDA Software is adding machine learning built on Microsoft Azure to its Luminate warehouse management system.
This native SaaS add-on intelligently optimises tasks in near real time using ML algorithms to improve efficiency across the warehouse, delivering more value to even complex global supply chains.
“Maintaining the highest level of efficiency and the lowest cost of operations is always a challenge in today’s fast-paced environment,” said Scott Zickert, group vice president at JDA. “Luminate Warehouse Tasking starts with the end in mind by determining what tasks are most important to the bottom line and escalates those over lesser priority tasks, bringing the power of ML to warehouse operations. Luminate Warehouse Tasking is a powerful new capability that exemplifies the innovation being developed across the Luminate portfolio that extends and enhances JDA’s core, preparing our customers for the transformative technologies that will make the autonomous supply chain a reality.”
Luminate Warehouse Tasking solves the problem of peaks and valleys in labour use that come from traditional wave operations. The optimised tasking capabilities use ML algorithms to focus labour on priorities for timely shipments at reduced costs, even with aggressive service levels.
Tasks are de-escalated and escalated and prioritised based on due date, starting with the end date in mind to meet more aggressive service level expectations, while reducing costs. Optimised tasking also enables the labour force to be focused on the most important task at any given time, helping users maintain a loyal, skilled labour force.
Key capabilities include:
- Continuous, near real-time task optimisation;
- Task prioritisation based on travel times, due times and real-time resource location;
- Dynamic task prioritisation based on due times and locations, reducing travel times between tasks;
- Smart appointment scheduling, dock scheduling and yard management capabilities enable users to deliver on time and in full;
- Value through visualisation: side-by-side comparison of current and optimised plan via dashboard;
- Easy to pilot and seamlessly onboard accelerating time to value; and
- Ability to tie replenishments to picking, offering a smooth and efficient workflow.