Electrify America mobile app enables smart EV charging
May 21, 2019
Volkswagen subsidiary Electrify America has launched a mobile app for Android and iPhone that lets users manage the entire charging session on their phone, increasing convenience for electric vehicle (EV) owners.
The company is also introducing two charging membership plans called Electrify America Pass and Electrify America Pass+. In addition, it will be changing its introductory charging cost pricing, currently at 30 to 35 cents per-minute, and will implement a roughly 20 per cent reduction on those prices, depending on regions and local utility rates.
"We are committed to increasing EV adoption and are constantly innovating to make the charging experience as convenient and accessible as possible," said Giovanni Palazzo, president and CEO at Virginia-based Electrify America. "With our new app, we put all the information and capabilities you need to charge your EV right in your pocket, making charging with us easier than ever. Combined with our new membership plans, we are streamlining the charging experience at our ultra-fast chargers."
Thanks to easy-to-navigate features, the Electrify America app offers a seamless charging experience:
- Locate a charger: This lets users find a charging station near them and get directions. The feature shows charging stations in the area, how many of each type of charger are at the station, and which ones are available. Those who become a member of Electrify America Pass can see the charging status of vehicles using the chargers and get notified when a charger becomes available.
- Pay for a charge: Users upload their payment information into the app and pay for the charging session through their phone. They can also see prices before they charge by selecting a station where they'd like to view the charging costs.
- Track charging session: While the vehicle is charging, the owner can check its progress in real time. If the vehicle communicates charging information, the app will show the battery's current state of charge (SoC) and the time until the battery reaches bulk charge, typically around 80 per cent SoC. The user can also choose to get notifications when the charging session has started, slowed and stopped. Once the session is complete, the app will provide a receipt.
- Electrify America Pass: Includes the standard per-minute cost plus a $1 session fee.
- Electrify America Pass+: A subscription plan with the lowest per-minute price and a $4 monthly subscription fee. Members will receive an additional discount off the standard pricing.
There will be three power levels for pricing: 0-75kW, 76-125kW and 126-350kW.
Since installing its first DC fast charging station in Chicopee, Massachusetts, in May 2018, Electrify America has accelerated the pace of installations nationwide. The company plans to install, or have under development 484 charging stations with more than 2000 DC fast chargers by the end of 2019. The stations are located in 17 metropolitan areas, and along high-traffic corridors in 42 states and the District of Columbia.
Electrify America, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Volkswagen Group, is headquartered in Reston, Virginia, with an office in Pasadena, California. It is investing $2bn over ten years in zero emission vehicle infrastructure, education and access.